Saturday, June 9, 2007

June 9th

I keep thinking about Josh's post. I can see so many uses for Wiki's. I was listening to Jess's idea in class on Wednesday for a Wiki for the Revolutionary War...and it will actually help with writing skills. I think that Wiki's allow for interdisciplanry teaching. I know that years ago students hated to do the writing, but I know very few students who complain about typing. Writing should become easier for this generation...it takes so much less time once you have the keyboarding skills down.

I look forward seeing the resource site that Josh is designing and seeing how excited the teachers will become when they find things they can use. Technology should be the driving force behind change and collaboration in schools today.

2 comments:

Wantok said...

It's good to see that you have the wheels turning and you're coming up with ideas for using wikis. In regards to your point about students finding it easier to write if they have the typing down: there's truth there, but I'll play the devil's advocate here--what about those children who don't have typing skills at all? This year I had two young ladies in my classes who had particular difficulties with typing and with keeping up on writing projects. Should they be "left behind?" Perhaps this is a digital divide issue that someone could shed some light on.
Cute pic, btw.

Marc Smith said...

Before I left as an ITRT, the last thing I did was do a collaborative wiki with BMS and TMS. The final products were interesting and the teacher spoke of the process as being exciting for the students and themselves.

As for your demonic stance, did we stop for those whose penmanship was deplorable? We support, remediate, and accomodate where necessary. Dragonspeak is a great software that transcribes dictation, but before we lower the expectation let them struggle. Remember, on the edge of chaos learning can happen.