Sunday, June 17, 2007

Sunday night

It is amazing to me to watch my teenage daughter use the computer. She is able to move through applications and screens with ease. I asked her about blogs and Wiki's nd she didn't really know about them....wow...is it our responsibility to educate the kids about Web 2.0 and RSS feeds?

She has not been interested in playing video games...so what is she missing? This scares me after what we have learned in our cohort. Should I have her read Will Richardson's book? I keep thinking about how she could extend her network. Wow how about all the parents who aren't tech savvy, we have some work to do folks.

4 comments:

Josh said...

if she ever wants to learn video games you let me know:) I don't think that she is missing anything, the cool thing about technology is that you can always catch up:) Of course once ya get caught up ya have to learn everything else

Kevin S said...

I think Web 2.0 might be the great generational leveler with regard to personal computing and networking. Like you and your daughter, my 9th graders didn't know too much about Web 2.0, RSS feeds, etc. It appears that we are all reading from the same literacy manuel.

For those who feel overwhelmed by what preceded Web 2.0, now would be a good time to just forget the past and concentrate on the present and the future.

Will Richardson's book, Blogs, Wikis, Podcasts, and Other Powerful Web Tools for Classrooms makes this journey exciting and easy.

Blog on!

Carrie said...

Your daughter has gained some of the same skills by playing live sports, I wouldn't be too concerned.

About wikis and blogs, I don't think our kids really know there is a difference between WWW and Web 2.0.

Cheryl said...

Don't forget technology is not just the web or Web 2.0 there is a lot out there and there is a lot to learn and over time she will learn.